Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Railroad Blues

I am on a train passing through Connecticut on my way back to PA. I get off in Phily where my daughter (who just called me) will be picking me up. I am trying to be calm but I have to make my way to the restroom soon and I have never been in a train restroom. So why am I anxious? Just another unfamiliar thing I have to navigate and all that stuff gives me anxiety.

This is only my second time on a train in my life. The first time was in 1969 when I was 14....it was a class trip to Washington. It was fun then...lots of wood in the cars and we had dinner in the dining car. I even remember what I had....roast beef. Now all I care about is that when the time comes I can get off this thing with the 2 bags and purse before they start up the train again.

If you have ever been on a train, you have probably noticed that the view out the windows of a train are pretty depressing. Run down old buildings, construction sites, electrical wiring, rusting things, grafitti. The only interesting stuff so far are the waterways....you can see some wildlife (birds). Its not like flying....that is much more fun.....at least to me it is. Inside the car here, some people are sleeping and some are on their computers (like me). I guess years ago, before cell phones and laptops, people just read. Don't see anyone doing that.

Ok....this will be short. I really need to hit the restroom now. Wish me luck.

Today's song is The City of New Orleans by Arlo Guthrie. The connection to my journey is obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment